Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Number 39c: The Facebook Fast - Day Two Recap

For those of you keeping track at home, here's what I accomplished in the last 24 hours while avoiding The Book:

- Finished my thank you notes from the holidays, purchased stamps, sent them on their merry and grateful way.
- Crafted, edited, and rehearsed the story I'm set to tell at my audition tomorrow.
- Spent some quality time with the roomies.
- Blogged not once, but twice.
- Returned some long overdue emails and phone calls.
- Yet again didn't have to charge my phone midday.

Call me a dork, but I love to craft status updates. It's not a self indulgent thing, it is part of my love affair with words. I loved my job this summer because I got to put words together every day - I got to be the voice of a festival and the voice for many companies. It was pretty exciting.

I don't miss Facebook, but I miss status updates! (Does that mean I should just convert to Twitter? Ugh.) I really feel like a Gen X (am I Gen X? I always forget...) weirdo but that's that. Right now I'd be complaining about bus etiquette via status updates. At what point is it rude to move because you are too close to a dude coughing up a lung? Like for real man, stay at home. Or take some meds or at the very least, cover your damn mouth. I'd write an ode to you, but I already did that this week. (But seriously I don't have IL health insurance until February so please for the love of Pete, get your germs away from me.)

I'd also have let you know that I made s'mores nachos this evening. Jealous? I bet you are.

But ANYWAY, during this FB drought, I've done a lot of googling about Facebook. (It turns out you really just need to waste some time for the hell of it sometimes.) Here's what I found out:

- Facebook has more than one billion active users. If the company were a country, it would be the third largest in the world after China (population: 1.34 billion) and India (population: 1.17 billion). Some 600 million people use Facebook on mobile devices.
- Facebook engineers originally wanted to call the "Like" button the "Awesome" button. (Barney Stinson would approve.)
- Rumor has it, the kids don't use Facebook any more. So, this fast makes me one of the youngins. Just saying.
- And apparently... this: 


Wow. Morbid.

And with that I'm calling Day Two of The Facebook Fast 
A SUCCESS.

No comments:

Post a Comment