Monday, August 23, 2010

Number 10: Date A Guy You Met on the Internet

This past winter, I found out that a bunch of my friends were members of this free online dating site called okcupid. I've always been pretty much against the whole these things but as I watched one of my close friends set-up her account, I suddenly became intrigued. She was taking so many fun quizzes, I decided to make a profile JUST FOR FUN to see what it's like.

So, I created a profile.

At first, it was fun to flirt with people online in a no pressure situation. Unlike at a bar, if people get too creepy for you you can simply block them. Plus, since I work such crazy hours with my job I hadn't been meeting too many people and I thought it would be a good way to expand my horizons. Anyways, long story short, I started talking with this really nice guy named "Jeremy*." We happened to share a few mutual friends whom I respected so I decided that he was safe to meet in person and we set up a date. We decided to make it a group date to ease pressure. I'd bring some of my friends and he'd bring some of his and we'd hang out a bar. Fine. Great. I show up with my friends and he's already there with one of his friends, "Mike." The first thing I notice is that there is a half empty pitcher of beer on the table. The second thing I notice is that Jeremy doesn't stand up to say hi to me. The reason? He and Mike have been drinking since 5 p.m. (it was around 9:45 p.m. when we got there) and he was WASTED. Over the course of the date he kept remarking on how shocked he was that I actually showed up to go out with him and he also repeated over and over how attractive he found me. While I was flattered, it was quite the turn off. He had no self confidence! The guy had been so nervous about meeting me, he had a few drinks to calm his nerves and ended up being so drunk he spilled a full beer all over himself and then brought that up every second he wasn't spending telling me how out of his league I was. After awhile it became quite apparent to me and my friends that it wasn't going to work out so we decided to go. As my friends were saying goodbye to the group, Mike pulled me aside and asked if I wanted to go out for a cigarette. I told him that I was leaving and he instantly responded with, "Well, then can I have your number?" The wing man asked for my number! I call this, OK Cupid FAIL.

I'm not saying that I'm totally against online dating. I know people who enjoy and people who have had luck with it. (And if you're interested in online dating - I would actually recommend okcupid. It's a really easy site to use!) I actually even went on a few very positive dates with a different guy that I met on the site, but I'm pretty sure that's it for me. I'm more of a face-to-face kind of a girl. And from now on I'm definitely leaving the internet out of it.

*Names have been changed to protect the innocent... or something like that. :)

...only 64 items to go!

1 comment:

  1. Oh what a night...big buck hunter + free popcorn + a sketchy bar....I miss our adventures!

    ReplyDelete