Friday, April 20, 2012

Number 62: Head to the airport and fly - anywhere

Hey All -

Welcome back to my blog. When I started this blog (quite some time ago), I thought I would accomplish 62 tasks in 365 days. Well. That didn't come anywhere close to happening. When I decided to make the move from Boston to Chicago, I considered creating a new blog to chart my adventures and keep my friends and family (on the East coast and otherwise) up to date on my life. Taking a page out of the books of fellow bloggers, (like JF and Rachel Bertsche) I've decided that instead of creating a brand new blog, I would simply give my current blog a facelift. Because, let's face it, you guys still want me to complete some of these adventures, no? :)

So. Let's start with Number 62. "Head to the airport and fly - anywhere." 
 
Five days ago, I picked up my entire life and moved it to Chicago, IL. (And okay, we didn't fly. We drove. But I said I'd be making some changes to the blog. Deal with it.) Some people thought I was crazy. Some people thought I was doing it for all of the wrong reasons. And some people (fortunately) were very supportive of my decision.

Here are the facts:

  1. I will admit this to you – I’ve probably never thought about anything more and less at exactly the same time. I’ve been mulling over the Chicago move since I visited almost a year ago this June. (And that time I flew!) Or really since 2008 when I had a  pipe dream with two wonderful gentleman I left behind in Boston. But the details were always fuzzy. All I had was: I’ll find an apartment, I’ll find a job, I’ll make a life.
  2. Everything is easier said than done.
  3. I’m a little scared. This was a hard decision and I’m sad to have left behind a large number of people on the East Coast.
  4. I strongly believe that everything happens for a reason. I’m here for a reason. I just don’t know what it is yet.
  5. I’m excited.
  6. There are many cupcake shops here.

No matter what age I am, no matter what I’m going through in my life, I’ve always coped with change through writing. I love to do it, always have and hopefully always will. So here I am, experiencing a huge change. And here you are, reading about it.

So far... I have good news to share.

  1. I have a job! I was recently hired by The Chicago Park District to work at Theatre On The Lake, an outdoor summer theatre festival. They (we -eek!) will put on eight plays in eight weeks. I'll be working in the box office as well as helping with some publicity and community programming. I couldn't be more stoked.
  2. Wait for it -- I have a second job?! That's right ladies and gentleman. Tuesday was a good day for hiring me here in the Windy City. I'll also be waitressing at Frances' Deli on Clark. Thanks, CCF. You were instrumental in getting hired. I'll say though... wearing jeans and sneakers is a step up from wearing my whites. No big deal or anything though.
  3. My apartment is adorable. I'll choose my vocabulary wisely because well, the entire apartment is about the size of bedroom back in Allston BUT it's all mine! It has some quirks... I have to stand on a chair to reach my microwave... but hey, maybe this will make me cook more! Or you know... just invest in a really cute step stool. :) So all you folks looking to come visit, I'm ready to snuggle with you! Come on over!

And that's what I've got going on so far. You know, a little of this and a little of that. So stay tuned as I stir up trouble in The Windy City. Looking forward to adventuring with you!

XOXO,
E

Hanging out with Mom and Dad (and Patrick?) at Navy Pier. See? Trouble already. :)

2 comments:

  1. This may be the only time the tandem of Kenny and I has been called wonderful. Knock'em dead, kid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love you both. I'm just a really good actress so sometimes you can't tell. ;)

    ReplyDelete