Friday, May 10, 2013

Number 57: Take the credit, and the compliments, and say thanks!

I am not the most tech savvy person you've ever met. I know my way around basic computer stuffs, I can effectively stalk anyone on Facebook, and I can usually figure out small issues on my own without calling a help line. I'm also easily confused by the iphone, don't really understand how to use shortcuts on my computer, and PLEASE DON'T EVER ASK ME TO TYPE ANYTHING ON A TABLET. (That shiz is hard.)

So yesterday, you can imagine my chagrin when, while using my computer normally, I discovered my trackpad would no longer "click." My mouse worked but I could not select anything on my computer. I did some research from my phone and found that this is an insanely common problem with MacBook Pro once they hit a certain age. (Mine is about 3 years old.) It's often caused when the battery, which is located directly below the trackpad, swells, rendering the trackpad immobile.

So naturally, the first thing I did was call Apple to get a quote. Let me tell you something about Apple. They are certainly a well structured company when it comes to making their consumers completely reliant on them when it comes to help... and making sure they are charged every step of the way. But apparently, they don't put a huge emphasis on customer service. Here's the conversation I had with the "Genius" (read: asshat) that I spoke with at the Lincoln Park Apple Store yesterday.

Me: Hi, I'm calling to get a quote on a repair.
Genius: We don't give quotes over the phone.
Me: Okay, well if I describe the problem to you, can you tell me if you think you'll be able to fix the problem in store?
Genius: No.

[Silence.]

Okay, I know what you're thinking. I probably should have given up at this point but I wanted some answers! Obviously he can't promise me anything without seeing the computer, but he could have at least tried to be helpful. Or at the very least, polite. THAT IS WHAT HE IS PAID TO DO. Here's how the conversation continued:

Me: Okay, um, well let me ask you one more question [insert part of story where I describe the problem here]. Am I right in saying that this is a pretty common problem with these computers?
Genius: I don't know.
Me: Well, do you see this type of thing a lot with the MacBook Pro?
Genius: Yeah, all of the time.
Me: Okay, so... you would say yes, this is a common problem. Can you usually fix it in store?
Genius: I don't know.
Me: Well, thanks for your lack of help.

And I hung up. SERIOUSLY APPLE STORE?! He didn't even try to be professional let alone helpful. If I'm going to shell out some money for this, I want to be spoken to respectfully. You know who spoke to me respectfully yesterday? The internet. I found this video -- which detailed the exact problem I was having with my computer.

So, here was my next problem. I didn't have QUITE the right screwdrivers to complete this task. I went to the hardware store but the guy that works there said that they are definitely a special order type tool. Well played, Apple. Well played. BUT... if you think that was going to stop me you would be sadly mistaken. I did a little MacGuyvering with the screwdrivers I did have and FIXED MY TRACKPAD.


I'll be taking the credit for this one. Absolutely. Special shout out to GoGeeks. Thanks for giving me the tutorial. Not bad for a Friday, folks. Not bad at all.

Thinking you want to use your computer skills to make yourself feel good today? You should probably give a vote for Sixth and I synagogue before midnight tonight. Click here. I did it. BECAUSE MY TRACKPAD ONCE AGAIN CLICKS. Yeah, I won't be letting this one go for awhile. Thanks, interwebs.

1 comment:

  1. You're the BEST! Also, you should totes write a bad customer review for that store on Yelp or something!

    ReplyDelete