Friday, January 4, 2013

Number 65: Remember the "a la mode" (Or Remember Why You Started This Blog in the First Place)

2013.
The new year. For some, this is a time for new beginnings, a fresh start, clean slate. For others, it is a time to celebrate. For me, it is a time to remember where I have been and how much further I have left to go. I stopped making resolutions years ago because I felt like I never stuck to them. But looking back at all of the new people and new experiences that 2012 brought into my life, I am thinking of the new year as a benchmark, and an opportunity to be thankful for everything I have.

Moving far away from my family, friends, and my home state was a hard thing to do, but it was a change I needed and I do not for one moment regret doing it. There are good days and there are bad days and even on the days where I feel like I belong and everything is falling into place -- well even on those days, especially on those days, I miss my loved ones the most. You can replace so many things in your life. You can figure out how to make a fresh start in so many ways, but you can't replace the people who truly love you.

Sometimes I sit on the bus with my headphones in, but the music off. I listen to people sharing and living and that's when I feel the most like I'm actually a part of things. Of the hum and the doldrum. Those are the days I realize that the city isn't new and that I don't stick out. And those are the days I know something's headed my way. Because this life doesn't stay quiet for long. And because every once and awhile I look up at the skyline... and it all feels fresh again.

And I remember that the city is magical. And still new. And I can't help but feel that 2013 has something special in store for me.



But today, in this first week of this new year, I am thankful for everyone in my life. From Pittsfield to Everett to DC to Sitka to Israel to San Francisco and to this little town they call Chicago. I am thankful to all of the people who love me and have faith in me. I love you back.

This year, my only resolution is to love. So get ready for it, friends. It's going to be a good one. Happy New Year.

xo,
Erika

(...and stay tuned! Because the blog is getting a revamp and some more love in 2013 as well.)

2 comments: